Streets Alive Yarra is a non-profit, volunteer, resident and ratepayer action group in the City of Yarra. Campaigning for a more liveable, accessible and equitable city means that we’re engaged in a contest of ideas. We’re asking for an improved allocation of budget and street space, and progress depends on the support of residents & ratepayers. Everyone can make a difference.
Be a champion for your street or neighbourhood
Your face and name will appear at the bottom of that page
Other options are available, here is a range of actions that gradually increase in the time & effort required.
- Like us on Facebook. This helps the Facebook algorithm to know that we are popular, which help get our posts included in people’s news feeds. It also shows Councillors, Officers and other residents that we have broad community support.
- Recommend us on Facebook. This is an even stronger message to the Facebook algorithm that we are popular. You simply have to click “recommend” and type in a few words of support.
- Contribute a testimonial of support. Your photo, name and words of support will appear on our “supporters” page. This shows Councillors, Officers and other residents that we have broad community support. Simply email us with your name, photo and a few sentences of support.
- Become a champion for your street, school or neighbourhood. Your photo, name and words of support will appear at the base of that page. We can publish your ideas and photos on the page, showing what should be improved. As Councillors, Officers and other residents browse the website, they can see that the proposals are supported by a wide variety of people. Contact us to discuss being a champion.
- Make a submission to each annual budget. Improving infrastructure costs money. We are asking for Council to spend $10m each year on footpaths, bicycle lanes and place making, via the Local Area Place Making process. This is 10x higher than what Council is spending now, so Council needs to hear that many people want this. Look out for the budget engagement process in May each year, or subscribe to Your Say Yarra.
- Make a submission to relevant Council consultations. Every year Council reviews or updates various policies, strategies and plans, which affect our streets and the liveability of our city. We often publish copies of our submissions, that you use to help draft your submission. You can receive notifications from Council by subscribing to Your Say Yarra.
- Share Streets Alive Yarra with your friends. Many residents & ratepayers would like some part of the city to be improved, but don’t know how to make it happen. Share our website with them, and say that we are happy to help.
- Contact us to chat or to offer your help. We’re here to support residents & ratepayers to advocate for a more liveable, accessible and equitable city. We also welcome help from you, and are happy to discuss what we’re up to.
Let’s make Yarra a beautiful city to live in
Every resident and ratepayer can make a difference