The City of Yarra should develop an Integrated Transport Strategy and associated Parking Management Plan because it would:
- maintain a functioning city by avoiding gridlock,
- prevent death and serious injury by protecting the public,
- comply with Objective 6 of the Council Plan, and
- resolve conflicts between subsidiary strategies such as the Local Area Place Making (LAPM) Strategy, Safe Travel Strategy and Parking Strategy.
Key elements of an Integrated Transport Strategy and associated Parking Management Plan would be:
- Reduce the burden of through-traffic on our residential streets.
- Revitalise our shopping streets as places and destinations.
- Reclaim our quiet residential streets as public open space.
- Bring demand for on-street parking back down into balance with supply.
- Align with strategies such as the Environment Strategy, Urban Design Strategy, Safe Travel Strategy, Parking Strategy, Car Sharing Strategy, Walking Strategy, Bicycle Strategy and Local Area Place Making (LAPM) policy.
Key actions of an The Integrated Transport Strategy and associated Parking Management Plan would be:
- Reduce rat running by designating all LAPM precincts as 30 km/h superblocks that guide commuters to the perimeter and claim internal space for more trees, seats and opportunities to meet, play and socialise.
- Revitalise shopping streets by relocating shopper-parking to the first 5-10 spots on each side street, thus enabling shopping streets to support wider footpaths, protected bicycle lanes and level access tram stops.
- Manage the balance between supply and demand for on-street parking by introducing demand responsive pricing.
- Enable residents to reduce their need for multiple cars by encouraging car-sharing.
- Define safe routes to school in the 2 km catchment zone surrounding each school in Yarra.
Guidance from Austroads
At minimum, an Integrated Transport Strategy (or Integrated Transport Plan) should comply with Austroads guidelines, including these examples:
Learn more from this collection of design guides, or the European Union guide to developing and implementing a sustainable urban mobility plan: