Streets Alive Yarra is a non-profit, volunteer, resident and ratepayer action group in the City of Yarra.
- We believe that people should be able to safely access any property in Yarra, irrespective of whether they choose to walk, cycle, use public transport or drive.
- We believe that traders will be better off when more people live in the surrounding 20 minute neighbourhood.
- We believe our shopping streets can host beautiful, high quality 4-5 storey buildings similar to those found in Europe.
- ‘People’ means people of all ages and abilities, including from 8 to 80 years old, able bodied or using a wheelchair.
- ‘Safely access’ means that people travelling should not be exposed to hazards that carry the risk of death or serious injury.
- ‘Public transport’ or ‘driving’ include walking to and from nearby public transport stops or parking bays.
- ‘Beautiful, high quality 4-5 storey buildings’ are described in the video ‘How to make an attractive city‘ and the book ‘Soft City‘.
For clarity, we believe that safe access for all road users can coexist alongside mobility; whereby drivers can start and finish longer journeys on calmed local streets and then continue on VicRoads’ Preferred Traffic Routes (PTRs).
Our vision is for more trees, wider footpaths and vibrant businesses in thriving neighbourhoods. We see our streets being used by people from 8 to 80 years old, irrespective of whether they choose to walk, cycle, use public transport or drive. Residents and shoppers are able to move safely, comfortably, and conveniently around Yarra; and can easily find a park near shops.
Our mission is to build a coalition of residents and ratepayers who believe that Yarra can be more beautiful, liveable and accessible.
Our strategy is to publish positive imagery of what Yarra could look like, attract supporters via social media, and publish street design proposals from local champions.
Streets Alive Yarra is supported by the over 2,300 people who have liked us on Facebook, as well as the growing list of people who have contributed a testimonial of support or are champions for their local street. In addition, Council surveys have repeatedly measured strong community support for safer streets and active transport.
Founder & Director
Streets Alive Yarra Founder & Director is Jeremy Lawrence, a long term resident, member of the Australian Institute of Traffic Planning and Management and the Australasian College of Road Safety.
Let’s make Yarra a beautiful city to live in
Every resident and ratepayer can make a difference